KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

Windows games and WINE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Melech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Windows games and WINE Reply with quote

(my question in bold, everything else is conversational filler)

I would love to switch to Linux, but my prime recreational activity on this darned plastic box is to play games. I've heard of WINE, heard that you can use Windows programs on it. What is a computer game, but a very complex program? Would it be possible to play the latest games on WINE? Would there be hardware issues?
Eric Melech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that I asked this question before, and it was answered. I suppose it was to be expected, since I posed that question in mid-October. Oh well.

I don't want anyone to walk away feeling like their time was wasted by a repeat question, so.. um... I know! I'll post a few jokes! *digs through his 1,800 KB .txt file of collected jokes* These should be good:

=============

An Army Ranger was deployed to Afghanistan. While he was stationed there he received a letter from his girlfriend. In the letter she wrote that she had slept with two guys while he has been gone, she wanted to break up and requested that he send back her picture.

The soldier did what any squared away soldier would do. He went around to all his buddies and collected all the unwanted photographs of women. He then mailed about twenty five of the pictures to his girlfriend with the following note:

"I'm sorry I can't remember which one you are, but please take the one that belongs to you and send the rest back."

============

What do you call a bunch of grandmasters of chess bragging about their games in a hotel lobby?

Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer!

============

1. Do they have a 4th of July in England?
2. How many birthdays does the average man have?
3. Some months have 31 days; how many have 28?
4. A woman gives a beggar 50 cents; the woman is the beggar's sister, but the beggar is not the woman's brother, how come?
5. Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?
6. How many outs are there in an inning?
7. Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?
8. Two men play five games of checkers. Each man wins the same number of games. There are no ties. Explain this.
9. Divide 30 by 1/2 and add 10. What is the answer?
10. A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear? Why?
11. If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?
12. I have two US coins totaling 55 cents. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?
13. If you have only one match and you walked into a room where there was an oil burner, a kerosene lamp, and a wood burning stove, which one would you light first?
14. How far can a dog run into the woods?
15. A doctor gives you three pills telling you to take one every half hour. How long would the pills last?
16. A farmer has 17 sheep, and all but 9 die. How many are left?
17. How many animals of each sex did Moses take on the ark?
18. A clerk in the butcher shop is 5' 10'' tall. What does he weigh?
19. How many two cent stamps are there in a dozen?
20. What was the President's name in 1950?

Answers Below:

1. Yes
2. One
3. All of them (12)
4. The beggar is her sister.
5. He can't be buried if he isn't dead.
6. 6
7. No - because he is dead.
8. They aren't playing each other.
9. 70
10. White. The house is at the North Pole so it is a polar bear.
11. 2
12. 50 cent piece and a nickel. (The other one is a nickel)
13. The match.
14. Half way. Then he is running out of the woods.
15. 1 Hour
16. 9
17. None - Noah took them on the ark.
18. Meat
19. 12
20. Same as it is now, George W. Bush.

================

Candidate A:
Associates with ward heelers and consults with astrologists. He's had two mistresses. He chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B:
Was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college, and drinks a quart of brandy every evening.

Candidate C:
Is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and hasn't had any illicit affairs.

Which of these candidates is your choice?

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
Candidate B is Winston Churchill
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler

================

This is a bricklayer's accident report that was printed in the newsletter of the English equivalent of the Workers' Compensation Board. So here, thanks to John Sedgwick, is this Bricklayer's report.

Dear Sir;

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block #3 of the accident reporting form. I put "Poor Planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a more complete explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found I had some bricks left over which, when weighed later, were found to weigh 240 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out, and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 240 lbs of bricks. You will note on the accident reporting form that my weight is 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull, minor abrasions, and the broken collarbone, as listed in Section 3, accident reporting form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley which I mentioned in Paragraph 2 of this correspondence. Fortunately, by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly to the rope, in spite of the excruciating pain I was now beginning to experience.

At approximately the same time however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.

I refer you again to my weight. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building. In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and severe lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope.

==================

Oh! Merry Christmas! Very Happy
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Yes indeed, you can use Wine and its derivatives to run some games in Linux. This isn't to say every Wine distribution will work with every game (it won't), but if you are primarily interested in games, you may want to check out the Cedega Wine distribution since it is focused on game support and has an associated database of games that it works with, so you'll have a good idea of what you're getting.

There is much more to say on this topic and you should check out the recent KMFMS thread on gaming under Linux over in the Microsoft Alternatives forum.

- admin
Bane Macarbe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Why bother??? Reply with quote

Dude I have heard some great stuff and some not so great stuff about Cedega but have never tried it. Why? Because Linux sucks as a gaming platform. I love it to death but I find WINE far more trouble than its worth and run everything natively. NOONE in their right mind jumps into Linux hoping to play the latest Games Sad

That's not to say there aren't fun games to play--I love Armagetron, Warsow, Battle for Wesnoth and others but they work because they were DESIGNED to be played in Tuxland. PC games are built to make whoopee with a whole load of proprietary code behind the iron Micro$oft Gates.

I have an Xbox360 for games and run everything else I need in my Linux PC. The Xbox is a great machine and if everything M$ made worked that well I might use them for something other than shooting zombies and racing cars Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> Support for Switching All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.