KMFMS Forum Index KMFMS
Discuss why and how to avoid Microsoft

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

<<< Back to KMFMS home  

Operating systems: alternatives to Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue51

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Operating systems: alternatives to Windows Reply with quote

Hi

I stopped using IE and Outlook a couple of years ago, in exchange for Firefox and Thunderbird, and haven't looked back. I've since become increasingly annoyed by Windows XP's slugishnesh and constant cycle of updates.

I'm therefore looking to improve performance and my whole user-experience (another aim is also to be more secure) by trying another OS.

I would very much value some input, especially from those who use other OS'. Ideally I would like to be able to still run many of the programs I frequently use in XP, such as: iTunes, Skype, Adobe Reader, ArcSoft Photo Reader, etc etc.

Many thanks!
ynonyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird provides great functionality, but with IMAP it still kinda sluggish...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Operating systems: alternatives to Windows Reply with quote

Blue51 wrote:

I would very much value some input, especially from those who use other OS'. Ideally I would like to be able to still run many of the programs I frequently use in XP, such as: iTunes, Skype, Adobe Reader, ArcSoft Photo Reader, etc etc.

Mac OS X runs most, if not all of those (I've never tried ArcSoft Photo Reader). It's way better than Windows. The downside is that it only works on Mac hardware, which is pricey. If you don't want to splash out for that, I would try Fedora and/or Ubuntu either running the programs you need in Wine or trying some of the free alternatives. (Of course, when the program has a native Linux version, like Skype, you can just use that.)

- admin
Brad R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the recommendation for Ubuntu Linux. It's easy to install and runs on most hardware. Version 9.10 is coming out in 10 days; it's probably worth waiting for.

It will definitely run Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype, and Adobe Reader. I don't know about iTunes or ArcSoft Photo Reader. Usually I can find a different, equivalent program for Linux to do whatever I want. (And when I can't, there's Wine.)
Friend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: New Windows OS Comatible Alternative. Reply with quote

You should try React OS. It is a complete rebuild of Windows NT/XP from the ground up. Very Happy

http://windrowwidgets.webs.com/freewinos.htm
hoppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Windows OS Comatible Alternative. Reply with quote

Friend wrote:
You should try React OS. It is a complete rebuild of Windows NT/XP from the ground up. Very Happy

http://windrowwidgets.webs.com/freewinos.htm

No disrespect mate but that's a pretty bad recommendation for many reasons!
React OS is still in Alpha stage which means its pretty much gonna fail with program compatibility, drivers ,stability and a lot more.
The people who develop it are dedicated and should be applauded for their effort but its not a replacement in any way to any Windows NT OS at present..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KMFMS Forum Index -> Microsoft Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, KMFMS.